History of Formation Forest Development Corporation :
In the year 1972, National Commission on Agriculture, in its report on “Production Forestry-Man Made Forests ”expressed concern over fast depletion of forests and recommended-
To enhance productivity of the forests by adopting Intensive Forest Management Technique and plantation of species of higher economic value.
Keeping in view the limited financial resources of the states, Forest Development Corporations should be formed to draw Institutional Finances
Formation of Chhattisgarh Rajya Van Vikas Nigam :
The Chhattisgarh Rajya Van Vikas Nigam Ltd. has been formed in pursuance of Notification No. F-5-2/Forest/ 2001/ dated 30th April 2001. As per this notification, the Nigam has been incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 on 22nd May 2001.
The main objectives are:
- To accelerate and increase forestry production by creating plantations of -
o Fast growing species,
o Species of higher economic value
o Species capable of diversified use for industrial and commercial purposes.
- To bring suitable forest areas under intensive Management Practices in order to improve, enrich and enhance production, both in quantity and quality.
- To convert existing low quality forests into high quality productive forests by adopting intensive management system.
- To formulate financially viable projects in order to draw institutional finance to execute its forestry activities.
- To undertake maintenance, preservation, protection and development of existing fauna.
- To plant, grow cultivate, produce and raise plantations of all kinds of forest plants, trees and crops and other agricultural crops.
- To convert low valued/ degraded/ poor site quality forests into high value man made forests to obtain high quality produce for diversified uses.
- Conservation, development and sustainable management of the natural forest resources.
- Enhancement of productivity in Teak Plantation areas by scientific thinning.
- To improve the ecological status of the State by enrichment of the forest cover.
- Restoration of Ecological balance in the degraded forest areas.
- To maintain the Bio- diversity of the area.